If you have been impacted by wildfire evacuation orders, the University of Oregon provides the following resources for UO employees and students:
If you need additional assistance, please complete the employee wildfire evacuation resources 2020 form and someone from Human Resources will reach out to you.
Campus Crime Alert 2-25-2020
What is this notice? Campus Crime Alerts are released by the University of Oregon Police Department when certain crimes are reported on or near campus property, and in compliance with federal law. These timely warnings provide information about campus safety situations, and allow campus community members to take precautions for personal safety. This incident may have occurred outside the university’s Clery Act reportable area, but was a serious crime close to campus and is being shared with students and employees. All crimes should be reported as soon as possible to local law enforcement.
On Monday, February 24 at approximately 10 p.m., a shooting occurred near UO Portland, in the area of Northwest 1st Avenue and Northwest Couch Street. The adult male victim, who is not affiliated with UO, sustained a gunshot wound and was transported to an area hospital.
The university issued a UO Alert to the Portland campus community about the incident on Monday night and sent a follow-up “all clear” message. Both Northwest 1st Avenue and Northwest Couch Street were closed for several hours Monday night as part of the police investigation.
The Portland Police Bureau is investigating the incident. Anyone with information about this incident should call the PPB non-emergency line at 503-823-3333.
SAFETY TIPS FROM UOPD
The following suggestions may help reduce the possibility of experiencing such a crime, or may improve opportunities to receive prompt assistance.
- Communities are safest when members look out for each other: report any suspicious activity or unauthorized strangers immediately.
- Bystanders should try to be aware of their surroundings, and if there are signs of a person in distress, bystanders should make themselves known and offer assistance if it is safe to do so, and/or seek immediate help from police or security personnel.
- In secured buildings (including laboratory and research spaces and residence halls), do not let in strangers, do not allow strangers to enter behind you as a courtesy, do not prop open doors, and do not lend out keys. Only open the front door of a secured building or residence to someone you know and trust.
- Immediately report any malfunctioning doors or windows in UO buildings to UO Portland Facility Services (503-412-3691 – https://www4.quecentre.com/uoregon), and insist the problem be corrected as soon as possible.
- Assaults by strangers are far less common than assaults by people known to survivors. Self-defense classes can prepare people to deter or escape an assault, and have benefits for improved awareness and confidence. Credit courses are available from the Physical Education department and from UOPD.
- UO Portland security guards can walk students, faculty, and staff to their vehicles in the parking lot, and to nearby transit options (train and bus stops). Security can be reached at 503-519-3477.
- Report criminal activity (such as a break-in or intruder, robbery, or assault) immediately to 9-1-1, or for non-emergency situations on campus, to UOPD Portland at 503-412-3696.
- Download the UO Mobile App for easy access to safety resources, safe ride options, and maps.
UO Alert Portland: Report of shots fired at 1st and Couch- All Clear.
A report of shots fired at 1st and Couch. Keep away from the area.